Laurel & Hardy

Like many other blogs, a mixture of book reviews, links I found interesting, comments on the day's news.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Sunday in Halifax

Joan, the owner of the Marigold B&B, came down with a stomach bug yesterday so breakfast was cereal and fruit (she gave me a discount for the room). I checked into my new B&B, Garden View B&B after breakfast. I am now a few blocks closer to the Citadel and the harbor front.

Even with the closer location, I set a new personal record with my pedometer on Sunday - 15,086 steps. My feet are aching. Did I mention that walking back is always uphill here?

I walked down to the harbor front to explore. I spent most of my time at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. I arrived just as a tour of the model ships was beginning, so I now know the difference between a builder's model, a ship's model (scratch-built or kit-built) and the half keel model. The museum also has exhibits on the Titanic (focusing on Halifax's role in finding and burying the dead), WWII convoys out of Halifax, shipwrecks along Nova Scotia, and the Halifax Explosion. There was also a special exhibit on the Vikings. They also have a ship moored next to the museum that was a hydrographic research vessel that you can go aboard and explore.

The Garden View B&B is about a half block from a commons; there were a lot of people out there on Sunday even though it was cool and cloudy. It looked a lot like an American park - people playing baseball, tennis and frisbee - until I walked past a cricket match. I watched for a few minutes, but it didn't make sense to me.

I'm in Dartmouth right now - I took the ferry across the harbor - I'm using the public library internet computers again (the internet cafe near my B&B was closed this morning, so I still don't have photos uploaded). It is cool again today, and they are predicting showers. It was a foggy crossing on the ferry so I couldn't see very much.

I'll be mailing my Father's Day gift today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home