Laurel & Hardy

Like many other blogs, a mixture of book reviews, links I found interesting, comments on the day's news.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Travel to Nova Scotia

I'm on a computer in the public library right now, so I do't have my photos to upload. I'll get them up later, when I'm at a wireless cafe.

I had a great trip traveling to Halifax. The train from Toronto to Montreal yesterday was standard - a lot like the train I took in Pennsylvania a few years ago. In Montreal, I changed trains and got on The Ocean, where I had an upper berth. In the seats next to me were a charming couple from Ontario - Susan & Pete. Pete's a retired pharmacist and Susan's a retired nurse. They were incredibly friendly people (I even have their phone number and address if I'm ever in Perry Sound). Susan was born in a small town in New Brunswick, but they have lived all over Canada. From what they said, I guessed them to both be in their 70s. In the berth next to them was Michael, another librarian who had the same idea I did to come to Halifax after the SLA conference. He's staying in the Youth Hostel and is then going to Quebec City for a few days. Michael is a real train buff, and I learned a lot about The Ocean and trains in general. We hadn't crossed paths at the conference because he's a law librarian (working for a firm in San Jose).

Also on the train from Montreal was a bunch of teens traveling coach (sleeping in their seats). They were very exuberant; most of them were heading off to visit relatives after the end of the school year. One of the girls managed to chip the tooth of another girl by hitting her in the face accidently. Most of them got off the before Moncton.

I spent a lot of time up in the dome car, which has an upper level that has lots of windows for good views. When it was dark and while in stations, it was either talking to other passengers or reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. The book is a fascinating intertwining of the two main events in Chicago in 1893 - the Columbia Expedition and the serial murderer H. H. Holmes.

The steward made up the berths around 9:30 P.M. - there are no windows in the upper berths (I think Mom would find it too claustrophobic, especially with the curtain drawn). The lower berth under me was taken by James, a young man who boarded the train at a station after I went to bed. He got off in Moncton on his way to Prince Edward Island (where he grew up). James works in Quebec as an assistant at a residence for mentally disabled adults.

I had breakfast with Susan, Pete & Michael the next morning (James slept in - I think he got on the train around 11:30 P.M.). I also had lunch with them. The food was good and not too expensive ($10 Canadian for a breakfast of toast, eggs and potatoes with tea and $14 Canadian for lunch - I had the crab cakes with salad, green tomato chow chow (which is kind of like chutney) and tea).

Michael & I exchanged business cards - who knows, we might meet up at Baltimore. Also, he may be taking Amtrak from San Jose to Seattle next year and depending on the timing, might be able to meet for a cup of coffee or a meal while coming through Oregon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home