Laurel & Hardy

Like many other blogs, a mixture of book reviews, links I found interesting, comments on the day's news.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

First day in Halifax

The train was a little late reaching Halifax, so I arrived at my B&B around 5:30 P.M. Joan is the owner of the Marigold B&B - a small B&B with only two bedrooms. I'll be staying here two nights before moving to the other B&B I have reservations at. The house is charming. It belonged to Joan's great-grandfather.

The other B&B guest is a woman from Australia named Dawn. She is very interesting and is having quite an adventure. She & her husband raised 8 children (4 boys & 4 girls) in Perth. She has a number of grandchildren and a few great-grandchildren. She left Australia in April, taking a ship from Australia to England (five weeks, going through the Suez Canal). After spending time in England and Ireland, she flew to Halifax, where she is spending a few days before taking the train across Canada to Vancouver, before returning to Australia. She is taking a train tour, where it takes 17 days to cross Canada, stopping at various cities on the way for a day or two of sightseeing. She picked up some kind of food poisoning on the flight to Canada, so is still getting back to full speed. I would have asked her to come to dinner with me, but she is still recovering a bit and was just going to have a cup of tea.

I ended up having dinner at The Athens, which stylizes itself as an Authentic Greek-Italian-Seafood restaurant that was actually quite good. I had the broiled haddock.

This afternoon, I am going to the Natural History Museum & the Halifax Citadel. I'll probably spend some time in the Halifax Public Gardens, which I walked past this morning.

1 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your trip to Nova Scotia sounds wonderful. Sounds like you met some interesting people on the train. i think train travel lends itself to meeting new people---usually intersting people. Less anonymous than flying---people tend to hide behind their books on flights. Plus people are so crowded together they seem to need to create a little space around themselves.
Your trip sounds great


Krisfarm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home