Laurel & Hardy

Like many other blogs, a mixture of book reviews, links I found interesting, comments on the day's news.

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Friday in Toronto

This morning, after an excellent breakfast of toast with blackcurrant jelly, scrambled eggs, fresh orange juice and a slice of bacon (shhh- don't tell my blood pressure - I did limit myself to one slice), I went out for a museum day.

I enjoy the Toronto transit system. I used the streetcars and the subway today.

I first went to the Royal Ontario Museum. A lot of the exhibits, including the Asian art, weren't available, since they are in the middle of a major renovation and expansion, but what was there was interesting. I especially enjoyed the special exhibit on feathered dinosaurs, and the Greek and Egyptian rooms. The Evolution of Style section was also interesting. There were a lot of school groups in the museum today - I had a headache by the end of it from the noise. The new part of the museum is going to look like a giant crystal - I'm not sure how well that is going to mesh with the existing building.

I then took the subway to the Bata Shoe Museum, an interesting museum even if, like me, shoes are just something you wear. They had special exhibits on Inuit clothing and shoes and one on Plains Indians shoes as well as their regular exhibits of shoes through time and celebrity shoes and an exhibit on buttons & bows (shoe decorations).

After that, I got on the subway again to go to the Textile Museum of
Canada
, which is a terrific little museum. Very interesting textiles from all over the world. If you only have time for a few museums in Toronto, I highly recommend this one (over the Bata Shoe Museum, for example).

I caught the subway and streetcar back to my B&B (the streetcar stops a block away) and walked to a nearby pub. This B&B is in the historic Cabbagetown neighborhood. The neighborhood is full of historic buildings and houses and there's a very nice park just 2 blocks away.

This was another 10,000+ step day - In the last 15 days, 9 of them have been over 10,000 step days - with one over 12,000 and one over 15,000. The only exceptions are the day I few to Toronto, one day in Halifax that I called it a day early and the days on the train to and from Halifax. My legs feel well-exercised. I hope that has counterbalanced some of the excellent food I've had on this trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home